So it just so happen that this morning I woke up feeling like I’d been hit by a Mack truck. I’m not sure why, but I ended up snoozing right past my normal gym time, and a whole two hours past my alarm.
Maybe it’s because I took three airplanes in four days? Or because it was 18 degrees here in D.C. yesterday?
Whatever – better to be sick early in 2012 than later, right? Too much good stuff coming up down the pike. Anyways, as a result, Paleo eating is feeling like more of a challenge this morning (who wants steak when they feel like ralphing?), but I’m sticking to my guns, especially after all of the encouragement I’ve been getting from all of you! 🙂 Besides, you can do anything for a month, right?
Yesterday, as promised, I hit the grocery store to stock up on some Paleo-friendly items. Well. I hit two grocery stores, because that’s how I roll.
Paleo grocery list:
- Lean meat (duh) <– I bought ground beef this time for dinner tonight.
- Sliced deli oven roasted turkey
- Sweet potatoes
- Baby carrots
- Frozen brocooli
- Bell pepper
- Spinach mix for salads
- Black olives
- Trail mix (I bought Trader Joe’s brand, and it’s just a mix of walnuts, pecans, almonds, dried cranberries, and toasted seeds)
- Frozen Applegate Farms chicken apple breakfast sausage <–SO GOOD (bacon’s also a good option!)
- Frozen Applegate Farms organic turkey burgers
I’m not usually big on frozen products, but these guys can save you a lot of time in a pinch since (at least for me) preparing meat daily can take some time.
Paleo proponents are really enthusiastic about avocado, but I personally only like avocado when it’s in guacamole form (stop gasping, all my friends in California).. SO, that’s what I bought yesterday.
There are also a few ingredients that I didn’t need to pick up at the store yesterday because I already have them, but are definitely helpful when eating Paleo, in my opinion.
Other Paleo pantry items:
- Almond butter!
- Hot tea
- Almond milk
- Honey *
- An assortment of grain free/dairy free bars, like Pure bars or Lara bars
- Hot sauce
- Sugar-free ketchup
- Spicy mustard
- Salsa (love Trader Joe’s pineapple salsa!)
- Protein powder for smoothies/shakes (must be vegan though – dairy and grain free) *
*Not encouraged during an official Whole 30.
My Paleo friends, am I missing anything here?? Feel free to leave other ideas in the comments! 🙂
Time to get back to work! I’ll catch you later with a new recipe I hope..
Who else is joining the rest of us who’ve already committed to doing a Whole 30?!