Whole30 update: day 7

Good morning!

Is it just me or does this week seem never-ending? I feel like we should at least be up to Friday by now. It’s like January is taking its sweet time now that I have that plane ticket to go down to Florida. Rude.

In the meantime, today also marks one full week that I’ve started my Whole 30 and have been on Paleo! You guys have all been so terrific at offering your suggestions and own experiences with Paleo, so I thought we’d have a little pulse check… You know, in case you guys are wondering if I’ve tackled anyone in the office for their sandwich yet at lunchtime.

(No.. I haven’t.)

(But I did contemplate it.)

The first few days, as you all may remember from my lamenting, I felt like…. dirt. I wasn’t feeling so great which I had just immediately chalked up to being a result of flying and coming back to a different time zone. In retrospect, though, I suppose it could have been from starting my Whole30 all of a sudden.

From a grainsaholic with a 4-meal a day carb habit to cold turkey.

I was exhausted, looked shot, and couldn’t concentrate.

I sound like I’d just been put into rehab. Hmm.

This may sound nuts, but for the first few days I was even suddenly repulsed by the idea of eating meat. It’s not like I’m a vegetarian…. or ever have been. I have no idea where that feeling suddenly came from. I had to choke down my meat-focused dinners (lunch and breakfast I’d been having more veggies and eggs, deli turkey, etc.).

By the weekend I was coming around though, although I was still having trouble waking up in the morning. Like whoa. Since the end of college, I’ve been an early riser, but my head just wouldn’t get up and become unfuzzy until hours past my usual wake-up. It was like I was 15 again, only less amusing.

But then, BOOM! Change. Yesterday morning, I woke up and literally bounded out of bed at 6:30am to get to the gym. I don’t even know how it happened, but it was like something inside me switched.

I’m suddenly feeling more awake and energized throughout the day, and a real sense of clarity overall. It feels great, to be perfectly honest. Although I’ve never had major problems in this department, I’ve also noticed that in just this past week my skin has cleared up. This may be my imagination (especially considering I inhaled a jar of almonds since the weekend), but I see a slight difference in my body as well.

Do I miss anything since starting this challenge?

Yes. But not overwhelmingly so at all. I am definitely used to having carbs round out my meal, but I only truly crave carbs at breakfast most times. That weirdo “oatmeal” concoction has done a pretty good job of nipping that craving in the bud so far. Plus I’ve tried incorporating an extra sweet potato or other carbtastic Paleo-friendly veggies a day (especially if I’ve worked out), and I think that’s also help eliminate morning sluggishness (thanks Katie, for that suggestion!).

The only awkward part now has been telling other people that I’m doing Paleo. If they’re unfamiliar with it, they usually look at me like I’ve gone bat-crazy.

This Whole30 is helping me add some new (and unrelated) good habits into my life, like a morning cup of hot tea, and pushing me cook according to real recipes (like this and this) that I’m not used to, which has been a blast so far. And by the way, that green chili beef soup I told you all about yesterday? My mom actually followed along to my recipe and made it.

Yeah. My MOM – aka the best cook I’ve ever met – made one of my recipes. And LIKED it.

I’d call that a victory.

All of my Paleo friends: tell me about your experiences so far on your Whole 30/Paleo adventure! And those of you not doing Paleo, do you just think this sounds nuts?

8 Comments on Whole30 update: day 7

1. Allison
    January 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM (6 years ago)

You go girl! I don’t think I could give up my love for a good loaf of bread though 😛

2. katie @KatieDid
    January 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM (6 years ago)

Glad you’re feeling more energized! Everyone always says it takes a week or 2 to feel the difference, so the fact that your past that now is great.
    While I’m not totally paleo, I definitely eat a bit different than others but I never have to explain it really I just do it. I can see how that might be awkward especially because on the spot its easy to forget all those reasons your doing in in the first place!

3. Maureen
    January 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM (6 years ago)

Great job! I have been struggling a bit with my Paleo eating when it comes to snacks, but meals I am rocking it. I have found it interesting explaining to my friends at work why I am not eating my “normal” foods. I had an incident with chicken a few days ago where all of a sudden I just could NOT eat anymore. But I was still starving, so I heated up a sweet potato to fill the void.

• joelle
      January 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM (6 years ago)

Hey Maureen, I had a horrible time with snacks when I did my first trial with Paleo in the summer, so I def understand. Sweet potatoes always save the day for me though! Plus a banana with almond butter.. I’ll do a post on Paleo snacks soon! Good job sticking w it 🙂

• Maureen
        January 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM (6 years ago)

Oh, I never thought about a banana with almond butter…thanks for the idea. And I would love if you did a post about Paleo snacks. Right now all I have are bananas, almonds and dates for my sugar cravings!

4. Jen
    January 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM (6 years ago)

Hi! I’m a new reader to your blog. I just wanted to say I commend you for eating so healthy. I seriously have a major carb-binging problem, and I don’t think I would be able to stick to it. I say this as a jar of peanut butter sits next to my laptop… thanks for writing!

• joelle
      January 12, 2012 at 7:15 AM (6 years ago)

Jen: Thanks for reading! I love carbs as well (pancakes are LITERALLY my favorite food), so this is definitely a challenge for me.. I’ve done Paleo for a short time once before this (this past summer), so I’m a little more in the groove this time around. Trust me, prior to starting Paleo there were days where I’d eaten more Luna bars and peanut butter than vegetables, but I think it’s all about moderation (which is what’s helping me stick with this Paleo Whole30 for the next month). I personally think all healthy eating is nothing more than a habit you can form! PS. I was totally eating almond butter out of the jar while on my computer last night, too. 😉

• Jen
        January 13, 2012 at 7:02 PM (6 years ago)

Yeah, the last time I tried the whole low-carb thing I just felt like snacking the whole time. I can definitely see how it takes practice. Keep us updated on your progress!