New Year, New Paleo

Helloooooooooooo friends!

As I’ve been hinting at the last few days, today I’m launching a 30-day Paleo challenge to kick start the new year. 2013, FTW!paleo challenge 2013

As longtime readers may recall, I’m no stranger to Paleo. It’s like this annoying, crazy aunt I want to hate, but secretly really appreciate, who stops by every few months to remind me how much extra energy and other good stuff I COULD have if only I’d lay off my the daily helpings of pancakes and oatmeal.

And I usually stay Paleo until…… well, I cave for some pancakes. And peanut butter. And Pirate’s Booty cheddar-y popcorn (my kryptonite).

Um, yeeeeah. Like this?

image

New Year’s brunch from yesterday: homemade waffles.

(A new year requires {traditional} pancakes and/or waffles to get off to a lucky start. I strategically selected January 2nd for this challenge to start INSTEAD of the 1st for that reason. 😉 )

Anyways, despite being a die hard carb lover from a giant Italian family (aka I’ve had pasta and biscotti in my face since birth), when I first tried Paleo back in the summer of 2011 just out of sheer curiosity (note: not to lose weight), I was shocked by how much I really, really got out of it. In fact………….. I kinda loved it.

paleo do and dont

I felt tremendous energy, slept better, skin seemed to look more radiant, and I overall just felt healthier. I guess that’s a state of mind and subjective, but everything Paleo-fanatics had been telling me about – all the positive attributes actually seemed to click once I started! I’ve since done a few Paleo stints (including a Whole 30) and have seen the same excellent effects just about every time. (You can find all my past Paleo-related blog posts by searching the tag “paleo.”)

Ummmmm, also? I hadn’t mentioned this, but Monday (aka New Year’s Eve),  I had a quick in-and-out toe surgery to fix a problem associated with getting my foot run over back in October 2009 (no idea what I’m talking about: visit this post!).

imageDon’t worry – the surgery didn’t mess up my sparkly nail polish.

My decision to go Paleo again, NOW, was actually partially linked to knowing I was having this procedure done. I already knew I wanted to focus on de-stressing, staying present, and focusing on making healthy habits a priority again, and figured that would be extra necessary (and challenging) while on crutches and barely walking for the few weeks of recoup after a surgery.

Annnnnnnnnnnd I’d love for ya’ll to join me! A few friends are jumping back on the bandwagon with me (they’ve dabbled in Paleo in the past, too — hi Annie and Kirby!), as well as my mama, who is completely new to the idea of a Paleo lifestyle.

This is a BIG deal, you guys. One of my mom’s favorite things in the world is a good loaf of Italian bread. In other words, if she can do this for 30 days, so can you!

I have a Paleo grocery list  AND snacks list all ready to go for you guys to refer to while stocking up. In the next week, I may post a new groceries list, too.  Plus, I’m just an email away for any encouragement or to answer any questions you may have (onapinktypewriter AT gmail DOT com). 😀 I’m always happy to hear from you!

Leave a comment if you’ll be joining the challenge!

Edited to add:

Be sure to share your photos and updates {via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram}; Use hashtag #Paleo2013.

15 Comments on New Year, New Paleo

1. Maureen
    January 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM (5 years ago)

I REALLY need to get my eating back in check. I can tell my body needs a reboot!

• joelle
      January 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM (5 years ago)

Reboot – exactly!

2. Bethany
    January 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM (5 years ago)

Paleo really interests me…its one of those things I know I SHOULD try but I don’t WANT to. Haha, dairy and carbs are my favorites!! This month I’m taking on a personal budget challenge for myself, but maybe in February [after reading all your good ideas ;)]I will try Paleo for a month…Feb the shortest month too…seems like a good time to start.

• Bethany
      January 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM (5 years ago)

Also hope you recover quickly!

• joelle
        January 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM (5 years ago)

Thank you!!

3. Julia
    January 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM (5 years ago)

I’m joining! I did paleo I’m November and loved it and then fell off the wagon, am now recovering a stomach flu, and need a reboot in a major way! Let the journey begin!

• joelle
      January 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM (5 years ago)

Fantastic! And I hope you’re feeling better. 🙂

4. Jenn (eating bender)
    January 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM (5 years ago)

I love this challenge! I am so intrigued by the Paleo diet, but like you am a huge bread, pasta, name-anything-not-on-the-Paleo-diet lover. 🙂 That said, I have a feeling I would be re-energized doing something like this and am excited to follow along and pick up tips from you. Good luck! Also, I hope surgery recovery goes smoothly!

• joelle
      January 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM (5 years ago)

Thanks, my dear! Let me know if you give Paleo a try this month.. it’s tough when you love carby stuff, but you actually get used to it (as weird as that sounds). I think it’s like the same logic as breaking a habit, you know? 🙂

5. Linsay
    January 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM (5 years ago)

Paleo 2013! I’m in it with you girl! Hope your foot feels better soon!!!

• joelle
      January 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM (5 years ago)

Yay! Glad to hear it. 🙂

6. Elizabeth
    January 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM (5 years ago)

This sounds like it would be a little difficult to start but amazing in the long run!

• joelle
      January 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM (5 years ago)

I think the tough or daunting part about starting is just the idea of rethinking how you usually view meals (least it was for me!), and making sure you have Paleo-friendly groceries in your kitchen ( ie meat, plenty of veggies, etc.) so that meal time doesn’t feel like a chore. I can vouch for the benefits once you stick w it though!

7. Emily
    January 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM (5 years ago)

I just found this website! I want to start Paleo also…starting today Jan. 4 to Feb. 4th at least. I heard it does wonders for those with auto-immune issues so I’m giving this a shot!

• joelle
      January 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM (5 years ago)

Yay! Definitely give it a try. I’ve heard that as well, although I can’t say for sure personally. I konw that I’ve seen a ton of benefits myself, in terms of sleeping and overall feeling more energized and just BETTER. Keep me posted on how it goes for you and thanks for reading. 🙂